Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Best of 2007 - Honourable mentions

Okay, so before presenting the Best of 2007 list, here's a couple of albums that didn't make the cut, but came very close. Amongst others, in no particular order:

Christian Fennesz & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Cendre (Touch)
Cendre is unrelentingly fascinating and beautiful - a stunning piece of work, though I prefer Sakamoto's work with Alva Noto. To me, this was too much of a tease - I was expecting a new solo album by Fennesz by the end of this year...
Download track: Haru.

Bat for Lashes - Fur and Gold (Echo)

Gothic pop, of some sort. I'm not going to drag it out, I have included songs from it on more than one occasion in various mixes, so I suggest you look this one up. Download track: Horse and I
and What's a Girl to Do?

Gavin Bryars with Alter Ego and Philip Jeck -
The Sinking of the Titanic (Touch)
I had a fever a few weeks ago and I listened to this while trying to get some sleep. Possibly the worst hour of rest I've ever had. Clocking in at 72 minutes, this is an immense experience, recorded live at the 49th International Festival of Contemporary Music at the Venice Biennale.
Download track: The Sinking of the Titanic (excerpt).


Burial - Untrue (Hyperdub)

I didn't like the last Burial album, but I find this to be so much better, because of the vocal emphasis. Heavily influenced by two-step and UK garage, crafted from dub and spectral samples. Pretty depressing, but also very special indeed.
Download track: Archangel
and Near Dark.

Pelican - City of Echoes (Hydra Head)
Yes! This is the way to go. If Sonic Youth was a metal band, I'm pretty sure this is how it would sound. I applaud Pelican for stepping away from the doom-laden records they've put out before.
Download track: City of Echoes.

No comments: